March 13, 2012

Student of the Century

I believe that every woman on this planet should be independent. Whether or not she ever has to, she should at least have the capability to be self-sufficient and be able to survive on her own - physically, mentally, emotionally and financially. No matter what people say about the world, the reality is that we still live in a male dominated society where women are often treated as unequals and many a times end up becoming victims of men within their own families with controlling behavior. This is especially true in India, a country that ironically surpassed U.S.A. four decades ago by appointing a female Prime Minister (Indira Gandhi), a dream that the U.S. Presidency still seems far away from.

One of the most important things that can help us accomplish this goal is to educate girls. Not just educating them, but giving them the same opportunities in academics, sports, career and life choices as the boys. There is absolutely no other way to eliminate inequality between the two genders from this world. I pity people who treat their sons different from their daughters purely because of the gender they were born with. Such people don't deserve to exist or talk about equality since they are discriminating in their own homes amongst their own children. And it's usually the girls of such families who eventually suffer the most in the long run because they are unprepared for the realities of life.

With such strong belief in empowering women to take control of their lives, I am a big preacher of educating girls from a very young age. I have worked on several such projects both in India and the U.S. at an individual and institutional level in the last several years. But one thing I have always enjoyed the most is one on one teaching. Whenever I have time and a young student willing and eager to learn, I never pass on that opportunity. I feel like I was somehow sent on this planet to help the females rise up in society by doing such community work as well as by becoming a role model for them through my own personal successes.

My newest student in this 'educate the girls club' is Muskaan. She is the daughter of one of our workers and is a brilliant student. Muskaan's parents initially did send her to school. However, she gave up a few days after she started due to bad environment in her household with an alcoholic father and almost no financial support. Muskaan is 3 years old and very very eager to learn. So, GOD sent her an opportunity that she grabbed right away.

Muskaan is now a student at the Chawla Heritage a.k.a. my home and comes to learn English, Mathematics and Art every single day. She is such a bundle of energy and a very quick learner. In just a few days, she has already learnt counting from 1 to 20, the english names for the objects that represent the english alphabet (apple, ball, cat....to zebra), rhymes such as 'Early to Bed', 'Johny Johny', 'Twinkle Twinkle' and coloring skills.

In order to keep her interest high, I decided to make a short video of her so she could see herself at the end of the lesson. Watching herself on the computer after her class was over for the day led her to get even more excited about learning (and of course the yummy treats that she gets to eat as prizes help too) and her mother tells me that Muskaan does not miss class for anything anymore. She waits everyday for evening to arrive, takes a shower, dresses nice, oils her hair, gets her bag ready and walks to my doorstep with the brightest smile I have seen in a long time. Truly a Muskaan, this kid is! :)

Well, without saying much further, I will just let you watch the video I shot of her. I love the parts where she repeats "11...12...13...20" three times because she is so excited and also where she starts to mimick everything I say including the oohs and the aahs. :)

Muskaan is such a darling and I call her my "student of the century".


                       
Muskaan counting 1 - 20, reciting an english rhyme and showing off her coloring skills. 
The voice in the background is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment