March 3, 2012

harneetchawla.com on its way....

Last week, as I was sitting and researching topics for my blog, it suddenly occurred to me how limited I am with things that I can do with my eblogger account. I wondered how amazing it would be if I had my own website and thus the freedom to do whatever I want to do with it. And you know how they say, "it's the thought that counts." I immediately started checking online and voila, the domain harneetchawla.com was actually available. I took exactly 10 minutes to make the purchase in the fear that some other Harneet Chawla in the world might just jump on it before I do. As soon as the purchase confirmation came in my email, I felt so proud to own my unique domain and hoped that someday, when I become a big celebrity (hahahahaha....I know what you are thinking), people will jam the traffic on my weblight...ahhhh..i mean website. :)

With the unique domain name purchased & celebrations completed a.k.a. going out for a refreshing run with my dogs, I announced to my entire family that I was going to make my own website. They all nodded with that look on their face, "Oh, yah? Ok. Good. Whatever!"and probably laughed in their hearts about how I always get so excited with little things like that. But then again, that's me. I find so much happiness from the smallest things in life and absolutely hate people who wait for big and amazing stuff to happen to them in order to bring one stupid smile on their faces (things that might or might never happen). Anyhow, leaving my hatred behind for some losers who can't appreciate life and moving on to my exciting new website venture......so, I had my domain name and a will to do something with it. This was one week ago!

As and where I stand today, my website is almost done. And no, I have not taken any help from a being of any species - human or otherwise. Although I have worked on several websites throughout my academic and professional career, the truth is that I am no IT person myself. In every one of the websites that I got built, I had a strong IT person backing me up to help create my ideas into reality. However this time, I decided I was going to do it all on my own - everything from website design, development, domain, hosting, uploading & maintenance. I have to say it's been a really steep learning curve in these past 5 days but you know, one thing I am always proud of is the fact that if I am given a project (even if I don't know shit about it) and most importantly, if I am given the time, environment and freedom to do whatever the hell I need to do, I always make it happen. And this website project has had the same results. I have done the best I could with the little knowledge and little time I had on hand. So, here is a quick glimpse of how harneetchawla.com is going to look like and I hope you will all enjoy it when it goes live.

www.harneetchawla.com

While I was working on harneetchawla.com, I realized that I needed to do a bit more to learn some of the things that were new to me. So, as practice on the side, I also decided to build a website for New York Fitness, a state-of-the-art gym owned by my Dad. I was lucky to be able to get newyorkfitness.in as its domain since the .com version is currently on backorder due to its popularity and high demand. You can visit both www.harneetchawla.com and www.newyorkfitness.in now where I currently have 'Coming soon' pages uploaded for the time being. The last 5 days have been really hectic learning and developing the two sites with my eyes hurting from being glued to the computer screen for hours altogether. But I am really happy with the results and looking forward to making the two sites live as soon as I finish some last minute touches on them. This especially includes moving my entire blog archive from here to my new site. I also need a few more pictures of the gym that I will be taking today to complete my creation. As soon as both go live, I will be sure to blog and let you know so you can check them out.

In the meantime, I look forward to keep meeting all of you here and continue blogging to keep your life full with interesting stories, opinions and general entertainment. Thank you for following my blog as always. I might be moving to a new home (harneetchawla.com) soon but the people in my life (all of you) will stay the same. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment