February 17, 2012

Only One Chance

I have been an avid reader since I was a little girl. I owe this habit to my English teacher at St. Joseph's Convent School, Miss Sukham, who always encouraged me to read books outside of the regular school curriculum. Although, there have been few months in the past several years when I might have slipped out of the habit due to various reasons, but in most cases, I can always be seen sitting, sleeping or traveling with a book. And you would almost always see one by my bedside. I believe that reading in silence is the best sleeping aid and the most effective way to de-stress yourself at the end of a hectic day.

As I was going through some of my old books....the ones that I have been reading & collecting since childhood, I found a bookmarker that I used to carry around in my books during my early teens. I hadn't seen it in so long and in fact had no idea that I still had this thing from over 14 years ago. When I saw it, it was like finding money in the pocket of your coat that you had mistakenly left in it during the last winter season. :) Anyhow, the words on the bookmarker really touched me and I understood why I had taken such special care to save the same for the last so many years. It is very inspirational and you all might like it too, so I thought I would share. The poem/wording on it is called 'Only One Chance' and it reads as follows:



!! Only One Chance !!


Sometimes You get only One Chance!
One chance to put aside your pride
and say humbly: "I was wrong",
or "it was all my fault." or even,
"We were both foolish,"
One chance to explain
a misunderstanding
that, if ignored,
would sour a friendship.
One chance to hear
what another needs to tell you.
one chance to defend a friend
when slighting remarks are made against him.
One chance to accept a shy
but sincere offer of friendship
One chance to stand up
and be counted when
you don't agree with the crowd.
One chance to say "No"
when it is important to say "No"
but easier to say "Yes".
One chance to refuse
to be talked into doing
something you know you shouldn't.
One chance to right wrong you've done.
One chance to choose the right road
when you come to crossroads in your life.
One chance to stand up
and face a hard situation,
instead of running away from it.
Sometimes you get only
that One Chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment